Sunday, October 23, 2011

I Saw Red

Somerville has a rich art culture. You can't turn around without seeing it. When I was taking shots for the blog, I couldn't help but see this gorgeous splash of red on the hill.
I got the chance to talk with the artist herself, Georgia Dare Kennedy,  It turns out she recently moved to the community.  She definitely landed in the right spot, and we're lucky to have her.  She graciously let me use her images.  I think her own words best explain the piece.

 Living in Nes, LA, I began to define myself both along and against New Orleans’ charming status, earned by its self-professed slow-paced, relaxed sense of time and duty. There, work and play have a seductive, comingled relationship. Does work enable play, or vice versa?An object that my father always carries, and my grandfather before him: a soft, worn, red work bandana, is a flag or symbol of work that has personal connection, a lineage of work. The bandana functions as cloth to wipe sweat from the brow, wipe the nose, wipe off greasy hands from mechanical tinkering, keep sun out of the eyes, cover mouth and nose from grass or sawdust. It is an iconic symbol of work.The New Orleans attitude–work included– is one of lightness. The visual form that best conjures lightness is a parachute. In elementary gym class, a nylon parachute was an object of group play, with all children’s hands on the edge and the whole group moving the cloth together into a dome or a shield. Parachute also conjures rescue, escape and heroism.My hexagonal Work Parachute is sewn of 144 red work bandanas, approximately 23 feet across. Bandanas are seconds from the plant where my father works. Images were taken in Prospect Park, Somerville, MA.
Work Parachute 
Thanks Georgia!
Some Tunes in the Park

Thanks Labor Movement



I just like this shot, and it has red.
Neighborhood Sentiment
I attended such a nice picnic here in the park.  I met a lot of neighbors and found out the open space is used for guitar lessons too.  It turns out I'm not the only one that really likes the history.

This is a far more detailed view of the hill from a neighbor  Steve Mulder.
He writes books which can help us sort out online media.
That's very helpful for us English Majors.
.

1 comment:

  1. I just recently took a trip to Sommerville this past week and loved it. Stopped at a bar called the Burren (I think), and there was a live folk band who were great.

    ReplyDelete